Structure of the résumé
How will your résumé look and read?
advice and points to consider are:
The Front Page
- Your front page should contain headings and dot points which work similarly to headlines and captions in newspapers - they should quickly direct your reader to the most important information - i.e. the key reasons why you are right for the employer.
- You should always have contact information such as a phone number and email address on your front page.
- A picture isn't necessary, but if you are going to add one, consider the message it will convey - what does it say about your maturity, professionalism, warmth and appropriateness? If it doesn't make you a more attractive professional proposition, leave it out.
- While length is clearly
a serious consideration, it is more important that a résumé
be visually appealing, informative, clear and concise.
- Use paragraphs that are
concise, well spaced and well positioned on the page.
Consider the use of bullet points, underlining or titles.
Make use of white space.
- Language used should be
specific, clear, succinct, positive, exciting and personal.
- Use action words eg.
developed, achieved, organised, etc. Click here for examples of action words put into sentences within a résumé
- Use words efficiently and
write in short, clear sentences.
- Keep your goal in mind when creating your résumé and support the impression you wish to give (e.g. that you really do have great attention to detail or administrative skills.)
- Accuracy is imperative.
Proof read until you are sure there are no errors in your
spelling or grammar. To make sure, give your résumé to a relative or friend with good language skills to check it for you before you send it out.
Submitting Hard Copies
- If you have access to email, you should submit your resume by email. If you need to submit a hard copy, paper colour should be
conservative. Use quality paper. Your covering letter and
envelope should match your résumé for a professional
...keep reading the next activity for more résumé tips...
◄◄ Last Activity
Return to Home Page
Next Activity ►►